Sunday, January 7, 2018

Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card-hen – Episode 01 Review!!!


I can’t even with the amount of sweetness overload and nostalgia in this episode, in case anybody needs some healing after the debacle that was Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (which I enjoyed in its own right). In order to savor the experience more, I didn’t watch any of the trailers for Card Captor Sakura Clear Card Arc, and watched this episode completely “fresh.” First off, the Opening Theme didn’t disappoint with Maaya Sakamoto’s “Clear” though no OP song will ever beat “Purachina.” I didn’t watch the trailers so it was my first time hearing it. Based on the title, I thought it would be more of an upbeat sort of song, but it was rather more mellow, and the whole opening sequence was a clear homage to “Purachina,” which was nostalgic, and I am glad that the animators have stayed very faithful to the original series. I despise series sequels that seem to forget the original source material but with the original director, Morio Asaka, with CLAMP’s Ohkawa-sensei in charge of the script and series composition and produced by Madhouse, we are in good hands. At the same time, I wouldn’t have minded a fresh take for the opening sequence either, which is why I really appreciated the Ending Theme Saori Hayami’s “Jewelry” with the slightly sketchier animation, with Sakura and Syaoran trying to go on a date with Stalker-Tomoyo lurking in the background. It was also wonderful having all the original seiyuus reprise their roles and they sound pretty much the same or even better (maybe higher audio quality compared to the early 2000s). 

I won’t do a customary summary of the episode, since you can find that in lots of other places, and most of you probably read the manga already, anyway. I don’t really think my review contains anything spoiler-worthy, either. Unexpectedly, the person I was the happiest to see was Kinomoto Touya!  I always had a soft spot for his voice actor, Tomokazu Seki, as well, and I missed his playful banter with Sakura. The other part that made me go “hanyaan” is Syaoran’s return scene—never thought I would get to see it animated 15 years later. The part that made me squeal is the use of the “Purachina” instrumental version “Honto no Ichiban” from CCS OST 4. Different from the original manga is that Syaoran appears wearing a green vest over a white button-down shirt and brown slacks in the most Syaoran-like outfit ever, instead of the Tomoeda Middle School uniform. I think I drew a dozen fanart of Syaoran in an almost identical vest outfit back in the days.


They’re all midgets still, but their height seems to be Yamazaki > Syaoran > Sakura >Tomoyo. It was strange seeing Tomoyo slightly shorter than Sakura! My third favorite part was Yamazaki-kun and Naoko-chan ganging up on their new 1-3 classmate Syaoran and taking advantage of how gullible he was! Yamazaki-kun telling Syaoran, “Never change, Li-kun,” would be my favorite quote in this episode, with Naoko nodding knowingly in the background.  


Other random observations might be, is it safe to assume that Sasaki Rika transferred to the same junior high school as Hououji Fuu from Magic Knight Rayearth? More like, is Rika actually Fuu? They have the same hairstyle! All she has to do is don the glasses (which Fuu ditches in Cephiro anyway.) Maybe Terada-sensei broke her heart so she ends up in Cephiro, and hooks up with Ferio.



Another note on the Ending Theme is that Syaoran is amazingly as fashionable as ever, wearing a mustard shirt with red tie and plaid pants, and oxblood loafers! I think Sakura trying to take a photo of Syaoran, getting him to make a “V” with his hands is about the most adorable thing ever (but was Tomoyo always this stalkerish in canon too?) Sakura and Tomoyo swinging their hands walking along King Penguin Park is adorable too. I didn’t mention how awesome seeing and hearing Tomoyo in action again was, because that’s just a given. 



There was some heated debate over at the New Trial Facebook group on “What color is Syaoran’s eyes?” Which turned into the existential question of what color is amber? What is color? Is golden, red-brown, and red-brown, golden? Based on a viewing of this episode—his eye color constantly changes! Also, I hope Meilin makes a comeback at some point in the animated series! I repent for thoroughly hating her when she first debuted in CCS. I know I mentioned I was debating whether to watch CCS: Clear Card Arc as it airs or marathon it after the season ended--who was I kidding? 


Belated Happy New Year everybody!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the first episode and it was absolutely lovely from start to finish. It makes me want to give then manga another chance! It was great to see the return of all of our favourites.

    It's fun to think about all of the similarities with New Trials. Picking up the story in middle school, Syaoran coming back, a new threat and a new key sums it up for now. Kris mentioned he hoped for some more info on Sakura's mother and Syaoran's father but there's no way it would go there! And I wanted to add that when I saw Nakuru crouching near Mizuku-sensei, I thought Eriol adopted a ward similar to Miho!

    Overall, the S&S shipper in me is very satisfied with the hugs and blushes and bear swaps. The end credits were everything! I look forward to learning more about the new threat. We're in for a fun ride! I hope that you'll have the time to blog about the future episodes as they come out! It's really fun to have you with us as we celebrate this monumental day in CCS history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I will blog every episode, most likely not, but I will probably remark on monumental moments. I actually prefer watching CCS animated because it's a medium that works so well with the movement, the colors, the music, voice actors, etc. (though the manga artwork is always awesome). I'm also glad I'm so far along in NT that there's not much I can get influenced by watching CCS Clear Card Arc, so I can watch it with no worries (and say New Trials came first but it's a question of whether the chicken came before the egg or the egg before the chicken.) As a fanfic writer, because of the respect I have for the original series, I am glad I stuck close with the vision of CLAMP.^^ And I agree we are all in for a fun ride! I totally see a movie coming too!

    ReplyDelete