Sunday, July 14, 2019

Happy Birthday Syaoran 2019!


Baby Syaoran and His Father
by wishluv on DeviantArt


Poor Syaoran's been stuck in his birthday for over a year now. I was meaning to update the whole Hong Kong arc by July 13, but when will I ever learn that is just my hubris? I'm still aiming for a release pretty soon, but I'm working late hours all of this month unfortunately. Sorry to keep you all waiting for so long! I really miss being able to post updates as well. If I have a secret confession to make, sometimes, I actually like stepping away from writing New Trials just long enough to have forgotten some of the details and have fun rereading it with a "fresh" take. I know, it's silly, but it all comes down to the fact that I first started writing this fanfic for self-gratification and got greedier and dared desire a readership as awesome as all of you. Just wanted to reassure you all that my passion for CCS and New Trials is greater than ever! I also have an Instagram account mostly focusing on NT fanart and CCS merchandise for now but likely to expand in the future.

I was sketching an sexy, smouldering Syaoran when I suddenly found that I had doodled Ryuuren holding a baby Syaoran. There are many fanarts with a young Sakura and Nadeshiko, but you don't really see any with Syaoran and his father. I sketched and roughly colored this fanart in around two hours. I sometimes worry that there is really not much difference in my thoughtless doodles such as this and artwork that I spend weeks or months working on such as the Dragon Syaoran piece. I love seeing a masculine-looking man carrying something frail and like a baby. Ryuuren is a bishounen sort though he has the heart of a weary old warrior.

I love all my original characters and whomever I am focusing or featuring on at the moment usually can be called my favorite, but if I had to pick an overarching favorite, it just might be Li Ryuuren (sorry Kai!). Probably because Ryuuren's been with me the longest as well, and I have sort of watched over his growth as a teenage boy to adulthood and death, in a sense. I have a feeling Syaoran would have fought with Ryuuren a lot had Ryuuren lived since both of them are so hot-headed and stubborn. Ryuuren was a lot more cynical and poison-tongued than Syaoran as a teen, since Ryuuren grew up under fierce competition with his older brothers who tried to undermine him and degrade him every moment they got (especially Li Wutai). I contrast, Syaoran, while his mother was strict on him, grew under four doting older sisters who wanted to pamper him very badly--but he would have none of it. I think I have a soft spot for Ryuuren because of how flawed he was, how doomed his love for Nadeshiko was, and what a horrible husband and father he ended up becoming. 

Music Spotlight - amazarashi - "Karappo no Sora ni Tsubusareru" 



If I had to pick the band I've been most obsessed with over the past couple months, it would be amazarashi. They might be initially best known for writing Mika Nakashima's "Boku ga Shinou to Omotta no wa" single but their discography is amazing in a haunting way and their lyrics are also dark yet with an uplifting message mixed in somewhere oftentimes.  

"Karappo" is a song probably better befitting Syaoran during his birthday the previous year in Hong Kong circa beginning of Arc 4. Sorry for a depressing song, Syao-chan. For this year, I also included "Sakura"  below. Well, it's not that much cheerier, actually. But isn't it absolutely beautiful, especially the end "Sakura sakura ima demo sakura saku kienai?" The cherry blossom is such a lucky flower to have so many wonderful songs paying tribute to it.





4 comments:

  1. You may be stuck in Syoaran's special chapter limbo for the time being but let's face it: you left him in such a happy place by letting him get away from it all and having the Mirror do the standing in.

    I really loved what you said about staying long away from New Trials long enough to enjoy it all over again. Not only am I experiencing that with my own re-read, but Matthew's comments of being someone who's experiencing New Trials for the first time nearly twenty years after its birth is giving me great joy.

    Take all the time you need, Wish-chan! We are your ever patient fans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Syaoran is left in such a happy place, maybe I just don't want to disturb him after all the heartache of his previous birthday. Hope you are having a good summer!

      Delete
  2. Wish-chan , it's great to hear from you after so Long! Thanks for the amazing fan art - at first I thought it was a young Leiyun holding Syaoran, since Ryuuren looks so frail here compared to your other fan arts of him. I think Ryuuren is among my top characters as well. I love Syaoran's expression here.. It's like "if anyone comes near my Father while his attention is on me I will bite you."

    Don't worry about the chapter... We'll be waiting patiently no matter how Long it takes. Now that I think of it, I never did put up my list of unanswered questions.

    Kirei Blossom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirei-chan, thanks for dropping by for Syaoran's b-day. Yes, that was the expression I was going for with Syao-chan: "My papa, not your papa!" And yes, he does bite! I realized that Ryuuren does resemble Leiyun a bit here (or vice versa). Ryuu is probably already quite ill at this point. Hope you are staying cool in the summer heat and you are getting some sort of summer break away from work! (Okay this is my third time trying to post this message. First Yahoo, now google hates me.)

      Delete