Sunday, January 2, 2022

Happy New Year 2022!

I realize I haven’t written any new blog posts in a while though I’ve been giving small updates over Instagram and Facebook. The year 2021 will probably be a “lost year” in terms of New Trials, because I didn’t make the significant writing progress that I thought I would in the past year. While there are other factors involved, the pandemic in large has sort of sapped a lot of joy in life for many, and I think I too was running on autopilot survival mode in the past year. Meaning, I was (barely) functioning through daily life, but a large part of creativity has been sapped away. For me, writing New Trials is a joyous, fulfilling experience, and I was not able to channel that self amid all the chaos across the globe. There is also the other part, as you all probably figured, New Trials is in its final stretch and the next section is the finale, and as a writer who has been working on this story since 1999, I want it to be able to provide this mega fanfiction the ending it deserves, and also to meet the expectations of readers who stuck by this long and have been so supportive and patient. And it’s also my personal desire to have no regrets when this story ends (when it ends). I also broke a leg and have been in recuperation mode for the past several weeks, another reflective period of time. I’ve come to realize I’m definitely not the best type of person to adjust to a once in a lifetime respiratory virus pandemic, but it might also have to do with my line of work.

I did manage to fulfill my bucket list of having chibi Sakura and Syaoran dolls through purchasing Good Smile Company Nendoroids and modifying them to become Obitsuroids. The first Nendos I got was 918 Nendoroid Sakura Kinomoto: Tomoeda Junior High Uniform Ver. and Nendoroid 763 Syaoran Li. I might have gotten some more since. I was never a figure person and was a doll person since I was a child. As a kid, I used to draw personalized paper dolls with friends and dress them up in self-designed outfits (yes, I was such a Tomoyo). I always wanted a Cardcaptor Sakura ball-jointed doll but always thought it would be too much work to customize and take up too much space. But I love how tiny and cute Obitsuroids are. They took quite a bit of time to collect, as they are out of stock and I got mine new from the secondhand market. I at first didn’t get the appeal of Nendoroids, but oh what a slippery slope when you realize how adorable they are. My Sakura and Syaoran Nendos are currently my mascots and give me renewed inspiration toward CCS, and I’ve been sharing photos on my Instagram account. The thing is, I think even bigger than my loss of writing inspiration, because I actually have been writing throughout the pandemic, is a loss of artistic inspiration. So having a photography outlet is sort of a nice diversion and hopefully a step toward getting artistic inspiration again.

Because the NT/CCS community is so diverse and spread across the world, I spent a lot of time thinking of all the readers and people I’ve been able to communicate with over the years, and still am in reach with to this day. I am grateful to have this community, and amid such trying times (no pun on New Trials), I appreciate more what we have, which is a venue where we can share like hobbies, interests and creativity. Cardcaptor Sakura going strong after all these years, with merchandise retaining popularity even now, shows its universal appeal (one which I think has not been quite replicated in the mahou shoujo/ magical girl category to date). It’s hard to find a series that resonates so hard because I think the fast-past nature of anime and media in general these days targets things that are more sensational and triggering. Hence a lot of shounen hero type stories, a lot more isekai and big franchise anime and so few good shoujo series with quality animation.  

On a brighter note, have you watched Disney’s Encanto—best Disney movie in years IMO coming from a complete Disney traditionalist. It’s like one of three movies I’ve watched in the past year. The songs are also so spot on, and I can relate to all three sisters. I think the pandemic has been a soul-searching time for many. For some people, it’s appreciating family and loved ones, others finding that time to cultivate an unexplored hobby or a neglected craft. For some, it has been changing jobs, moving, or giving back to community. For me, writing has always been that unwavering constant in my life, which I was reminded of even stronger during the past year. So, in the long run, I may be able to look back on this time as maybe a “lost year” for New Trials but not one for me in my journey as a writer.

I hope all of you good health and better tidings for 2022, the Year of the Black Tiger!

Music Spotlight: Andrew Garfield's “30/90” from the movie "tick, tick…BOOM!"


<;


Along with a lack of artistic inspiration also came a lack of appealing new music to listen to. I've been listening to Joe Hisaishi and piano instrumental collections all year round pretty much, my go to writing playlist. The exceptions were Hamilton and "tick, tick…BOOM!" If you can't tell, I've been on a Lin-Manuel Miranda roll the past half year. If Les Miserables is my favorite musical of all time, Rent is my favorite modern rock musical in a different way. The pandemic's impact on Broadway and the performing arts has been devastating, but I hope in turn people's appreciation and support for artists continue to grow because there is nothing that can quite replace that live performance thrill. As a Rent fan, I've always been haunted by Jonathan Larson's story and thought a movie about him wouldn't do him justice but was very pleasantly surprised by Miranda's directorial debut "tick, tick…BOOM!" Andrew Garfield was amazing as Larson, and a great singer to boot. I've been trying to convince everyone to watch the film and nobody watched it. As I mentioned, it's one of three movies I've watched this year so I don't have a lot to compare to, but it hit all the right notes for any fan of Rent for a Broadway-deprived person.

9 comments:

  1. Hi, so glad you give some signs, if someone doesnt respond and theres nothing about it we think the people is dead.
    Anyway we will just wait for the finale then, we have waited 23 years for a little kiss or more, i will have to say that despite everything this fic. is the slowburn of slowburns xD

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about getting worried about people when they don't post for a while in this day and age. Slowburn of slowburns is right on. Then I think of Clamp and X. :P

      Delete
  2. Wish-chan! So sorry it took me so long to discover this blog post. Usually I am a lot better at checking these things. Thanks for giving us a rundown about how your 2021 went by. For a lot of us, 2021 was a year of healing in more ways than one. In 2020, I realized that my marriage has run its course because at that point me and my ex wanted different things in the future. I took a year to heal and I joined Hinge in August. I ended up matching with a really great guy and we've been together for five months. I find that we are very compatible and balance one another well. I look forward to what the future has in store. :)

    Have a great 2022. If you are in the right mind set to share a new chapter then you know that we will eat it right but and if you need more time, we are your forever patient readers. I for one have been loyal since 2003 and I am not going anywhere! 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amesthyst-chan, I sort of buried this blog post anyway because it's not really the most uplifting news. Thanks for sharing what must have been tumultuous times for you, but I'm really excited to hear about updates in your life. Will FB you for more deets! Wow, we're reaching 20 years next year! Time flies.

      Delete
  3. Hi, it's always good to hear from you. I'm pretty much keeping up with your posts on Instagram and Facebook, and I love your Syaoran and Sakura dolls. Although I would obviously like to read more of New Trials , I understand how complex it must be to give an ending to this fic ,(as the writers are very perfectionist and critical of their creations). And the last two years were crazy for the world, so mental exhaustion became a daily thing. I know you will eventually bring a wonderful and endearing closure to New Trials, I already feel nostalgic just thinking about it. Your story is not only the one I have followed and admired the longest, it is also the best I have read in all these years. As always, I send you my admiration and best wishes for this year. Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message! This is random, but I was never the biggest fan of wine until I went to an Argentine wine festival some years ago and tasted Torrontés and heard about why Argentina's altitude, soil and humidity makes Argentine wine so special. Thanks for understanding about writers being perfectionists and self-critical. You were so point on about this!

      Delete
  4. I almost missed Amethyst's little post on Facebook about a new blog post, but here I am!

    It's great to hear from the old gang again. I agree things have been pretty draining these past two years. 2021 has literally been a year of healing for me as I was recuperating from long covid. It does exist, and it's very real, no matter how many doctors try to dismiss it. I was in pretty bad shape June onwards. When I got no real help from the medical side, I resorted to doing my own research and trying different herbal, natural and lifestyle-change remedies. I had to take a semi leave from work as well for a couple months (I may or may not have blackmailed them by saying I need a leave else I'm leaving). It was a very slow and frustrating healing process, but I finally felt like my own self by early December. And would you believe it -- first week January I got covid again, lol. But it was really mild and like a flu which hardly lasted 3 days. I have fun imagining my cells and insides rolling up their sleeves in anger with a "You Again!!"

    I have to admit, I've kind of lost interest in anime/manga now - I didn't even read the Clear card manga past a few chapters even. But of course, NT will always hold a special place in my heart. I need to reread again XD, but alas, real life has completely taken over and free time is scarce as ever.

    I'm shocked to read Amethyst's account of things but am glad you have moved on and are hopeful for the future :)

    Take care of yourself, Wish-chan! It's been tough, but we're still here.

    Now whatever happened to Groups io? We need to revive it. I hope it doesn't have some kind of expiry system if no one logs in.

    Kirei Blossom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the update Kirei-chan! I feel like everybody had difficulties in their own way getting past by these past two years, and rightfully so. The only reason I did post this Debbie Downer post (reading back), is because I think maybe there can be a sense of camaraderie amidst all this chaos.

      I'm so sorry you got Covid again, but relieved to hear it was milder. Hopefully you have developed a lot of antibodies by this point for Covid is here to stay but hopefully on its way to becoming endemic. Glad that you have sought various ways to cope as well. I know what you mean about losing interest in anime/manga, because I don't really recall seeing/reading anime or manga in the past year. Actually, I lied, I watched parts of Jujutsu Kaisen and all of Demon Slayer, mainly because of the hype. Both were decent, but it's just that I'm not the biggest fan of formulaic shounen action anime, with some exceptions, though I can enjoy it. Nothing really comes to Fullmetal Alchemist level for me. My point was, I still enjoy anime/manga, but nothing in recent years really speaks to me like some oldies. But I am still optimistic there will be something to draw me in again. I also haven't kept up with Clear Card for a long time--I'm waiting for chapters to pile up to catch up on one go--maybe ahead of Season 2 when it comes!

      Delete
  5. These last three years have been in a haze. This year has both dragged and sped by. It's difficult to find the time and motivation to complete much of anything these days. I hope you're doing well and still writing and drawing.

    ReplyDelete